Hello friends! ❤
Yesterday, I got to go see one of my favourite authors at a book signing–Marie Lu! (Yes, I’m still in shock.) She’s got some really amazing, intense books and is a superb writer. Here’s a lil Book Chat about my experience!
Lu has just released the final book of The Young Elites trilogy, The Midnight Star, and she is currently on tour, holding events in bookstores across the country. I immediately decided that I wouldn’t be missing it when I learned she’d be having a book signing close to my home. Oh, and when I say close, I mean at a bookstore in a city four hours away from me. (Never let it be said I’m not a dedicated fan!) 😀 I’m so glad I got to see her though, and it was definitely worth the drive.
When I got there, it was much smaller than the Rick Riordan meet up I attended in October of last year–around thirty to forty people this time around–but everyone there was excited and chattering on to each other about the new book as they sipped frozen hot chocolate that had been handed out; and yes, the frozen hot chocolate was pretty good. After a bit, Marie Lu walked over to the microphone and greeted us as everyone cheered. She introduced herself and spoke a little bit about the process of writing this new book, and then all the attendees raised their hands and asked questions and she answered all of them. Here are a couple of answers to questions that I thought were interesting.
- Marie Lu draws out her characters before writing them, a habit left over from previously being a video game artist.
- Her ideal atmosphere for writing is rain, a cozy blanket, and a nice cup of tea.
- She tends to write mostly from 8 am to 2 pm.
- Kiss scenes are hard; she always imagines a tiny mother on her shoulder, scolding her as she writes.
- She doesn’t generally cry over anything she writes, but writing out the last scene of the last book in a trilogy makes her shed a few tears each time.
- It’s hard for her to see her characters move on and leave their heads after writing their lives and thoughts for so long.
- The original idea for The Young Elites involved a current side character, Raffaele, as the protagonist before she realised that a certain villain, Adelina, would make a better main character.
- She is currently writing a new duology–the first book is called Warcross–about two bounty hunter teens hired to kill a hacker messing up the world’s most popular video game. Keep an eye out; it’s being published next fall.
- Lu’s a pantser! In other words, she’s not super great at following an outline and sometimes her writing runs away with the characters scrambling to catch up.
- She’s currently reading Crooked Kingdom and it might just be her favourite book of the year.
Then she signed everyone’s books and I returned home in a euphoric state, clutching The Midnight Star to my chest. Overall, it was so much fun! Marie Lu is such a genuinely warm and down-to-earth person. After only thirty minutes of her speaking, I already felt like I’d known her for a long time. 😛 I always love seeing authors and getting to know the thought processes behind their books, and I’m really glad I was able to go to this book signing in particular.
So now all the books I own that are written by her are signed, which I am thrilled about. Also, look at how pretty they are together!
I’ll be reading The Midnight Star this week and reviewing it as soon as possible. The Young Elite series is one of my favourites, and I’m sure the final novel will not disappoint!
Have a lovely day everyone!